bold

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Operation "Rescue Kitty"

Let me preface this by explaining that the school I work at runs right up against a small creek.  One side of our school is nothing but chain-link fence where we can see down into the creek bed.  Well, today after lunch I was walking to get my kids when I noticed a bunch of them all crowded at the fence looking down in to the creek bed (which has been dry, but now is filled with mud and debris from the first rains we are currently experiencing).  So of course I walked over to see what they were looking at.  There were two small kittens that had somehow gotten themselves stuck down there.  One looked to be in pretty good shape, but the other one looked like it was probably dead.  A couple of kids from 5th grade had a cardboard box and wanted to go get the kitty (there is access down to the creek bed), but they couldn't walk down there because it was full of mud.  Since the bell had already rung everyone left to go to class.  I happened to have P.E. at that time, so my kids went with the P.E. teacher.  So... now that I knew those poor kittens were down there I had to do something about it.  I went to the kitchen and asked for any left over meat or chicken they might spare.  I was given a small handful of hamburger patty.  I then took the cardboard box and punched holes in the flaps and tied string through the holes.  I had the idea that I could throw the box over the chain-link fence and lower it down into the creek bed.  I would put the hamburger meat in the box and hopefully lure the kitten inside and then pull it back up.  I got this all pretty well worked out, I threw the box over and the kitten came right up to it, but it wouldn't get inside!  Let me tell you, I spent a full hour trying to maneuver that box and calling the kitty to try and get it in.  I am very proud to say that after working up a sweat and getting absolutely filthy, the kitten FINALLY got in the box, I pulled it up, and with the help of the P.E. teacher, we got it back over the fence and to safety!!!  Phew!  One of the 5th grade girls got permission and took it home after school.  I wish I had my camera with me to take a picture, the kitty was absolutely beautiful.  It was black and grey stripped with blue eyes.  I'm sure it is very grateful to be in a warm home tonight!!

1 comment:

  1. BRAVO!!! You are a "Resue Ranger!!!" That's wonderful that you took the time and made the effort to save the kitten's life. Job well done Maritza! :)

    ReplyDelete